This position is part time and seasonal and can range from 5-10 hours per week. After school programs run from September to December and January to April. We also run summer camps and chess day camps on days off of school.
Club meetings run for 1 hour and 15 minutes once per week. Compensation may range depending on experience and will increase for coaches who show dedication and improved performance. Typical starting pay is $20 per club meeting.
- You must be able to work with young children as a mentor. We prefer candidates with experience working with kids.
- You must be skilled and personable while working with kids and be able to control and maintain the attention of a classroom of a group of kids ages 5-11.
- You must know enough about chess to be able to play a full game all the way to checkmate. You do not have to be a chess master by any means. We will train you on lots of chess tactics and techniques that you will be teaching.
- You MUST be able to pass a background check. If you are a qualified candidate, background checks will be conducted prior to your being hired.
- You must be reliable and trustworthy.
- You must regularly check and reply to your email.
- Applicants must be able to lift 50 pounds (chess equipment for clubs).
- Applicants must be able to coach during after school times at least two days per week (2pm-5:30pm).
Some chess clubs start as early as 2pm and some start as late as 4pm.
Applicants must have a car and be able to transport themselves and possibly chess equipment to and from after school chess clubs.
Schedule will be mutually arranged upon so it works for both you and our organization’s needs.
You’ll start out as an assistant coach in training and can progress towards being a head coach.
We have positions available at schools in Rio Rancho, on the Westside, in the North Valley, in the NE Heights, in the East Mountains, in the SE Heights, and at schools near UNM. We will work on but cannot guarantee placing you in schools close to where you live and work.
If you are interested and qualified for this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a letter of interest, a resume, and your schedule of available times and days of the week to coach.
If you do not reply with both your resume and a letter of interest, please do not expect a reply from us.
We will be conducting regular interviews for these positions.
Due to the anticipated volume of responses, we will contact only those candidates who most closely match our requirements.
Only local candidates will be considered.