- Learners Chess is looking for prospective chess coaches who have work/life situations which will allow them time to coach chess 2-3 afternoons or mornings per week.
- Chess coaching candidates should plan to be in Albuquerque for the next two years and could commit to coaching chess during the school year.
- This position is part time and seasonal and can range from 5-10 hours per week. After school programs run from September to December and January to April. Opportunities may exist for chess coaching in summer camps and chess day camps on days off of school.
- Club meetings run for 1 hour and 15 minutes once per week. Compensation may range depending on experience and will increase for coaches who show dedication and improved performance. Typical starting pay is $20 per club meeting.
- We prefer candidates who have experience working with kids ages 6-12.
- Candidates must be able to multitask while being personable to parents and school staff, all while working with kids, maintaining child care best practices, and be able to control and gain and maintain the attention of a classroom of a group of kids ages 6-12.
- Candidates must know enough about chess to be able to play a full game all the way to checkmate. You do not have to be a chess master by any means. We will train you on lots of chess tactics and techniques that you will be teaching.
- Chess coach candidates MUST be able to pass a background check to work with kids. If you are a qualified candidate, after an initial interview, you will be required to obtain a background check from the school district(s) where you’ll be coaching.
- Candidates must have regular access to a smart phone that they can use for coordinated communication with other Learners Staff.
- Candidates must regularly check and reply to texts and email.
- Summer 2018 Candidates are eligible to receive 20 hours of free training in our summer chess camps! Apply soon to take advantage of this offer!
- Candidates must be able to lift 40 pounds (chess equipment for clubs).
- Candidates must be able to coach during after school times at least two days per week (2pm-5:30pm). Some chess clubs start as early as 2pm and some start as late as 4pm.
- Chess coach candidates must have a car and be able to transport themselves and possibly chess equipment to and from after school chess clubs.
Schedule will be mutually arranged upon so it works for both you and our organization’s needs.
You’ll start out as an assistant coach in training and can progress towards being a head coach.
We have positions available at schools in Rio Rancho, on the Westside, in the North Valley, in the NE Heights, in the East Mountains, in the South Valley, in the SE Heights, and at schools near UNM. We will work on but cannot guarantee placing you in schools close to where you live and work.
If you are interested and qualified for this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a letter of interest, a resume, and your schedule of available times and days of the week to coach.
We will be conducting regular interviews for these positions.
We will contact only those candidates who most closely match our preferred requirements.
Only local candidates will be considered.